I talked about the impact of limiting beliefs in my previous post.
Let’s look at it a little closer this week. Before you proceed reading further, I recommend you take a note pad and pen. This exercise takes 5 to 10 minutes. You will need uninterrupted thought process – so please sit alone comfortably and keep your mobile phone away. During this process, be honest with yourself…brutally honest!
Before you start, just close your eyes, take a deep breath and relax. Gently open your eyes, think for a moment and write that one thing that you really wanted to do in the last 6 months but could not do or complete it. Next to it, write down answers to the following questions:
- How close are you to achieving it?
- Why is so important for you?
- What are the excuses/fears/reasons you are using for not achieving it? Like, I’m too busy or I have no time or It’ll be embarrassing or I’m too old for it, so on.
- What happens when you achieve it? Like I’ll be happy, I’ll be healthy, so on.
- What will happen if you don’t achieve it? Like I’ll be obese, I’ll feel guilty, my family will be unhappy, so on.
Now that you know why achieving this goal so important, take a relook at the your responses to question # 3 and follow these steps:
- Write down these excuses/fears/reasons
- Ask yourself if the excuses/fears/reasons that you wrote down are valid.
- Question hard and long till you understand the root cause.
- Write down what you want to do to overcome it and by when
Now close your eyes, visualise how it feels when you overcome these hurdles and accomplish this goal. Open your eyes and write down how you felt
“When I accomplish this goal …”
Keep this page with you so you can look at it often. This exercise will help you break those shackles. If you still think you need help or support, engage a coach.
What’s holding you back?
STAY HAPPY, STAY BLESSED!